Friday, September 4, 2009

PAPER TOWEL DILEMA

PAPER TOWELS:
Why is it that whenever I open up a roll of paper towels the first few layers of paper are glued together so damn tight that I have to rip away a good portion of this expensive product in order to find the leading edge? When I do find it, I place the damn roll onto the holder and begin to reel off enough paper to satisfy my needs, only to find that there is a fold in the paper and now, all of a sudden the roll is turning the wrong way. So now I have to remove the roll from the holder and reverse it so that it will pay off in proper direction. Then throughout the entire life of the newly applied roll, I begin to attempt tearing off the sheets on the perforated lines separating each sheet, only to find that the towels do not tear on the lines at all. Sometimes they tear diagonally across the sheet. Sometimes they tear on the line and then veer off onto the next sheet, screwing up several sheets all in one attempt. Other times they tear up the sheet vertically for several sheets before I am finally able to rip them off. Why in hell, do they perforate these things if you can’t rip them off on the lines anyway. The great finish to this little story is when there is a spill emergency and I give a tug on the roll in order to remove several sheets to fulfill the need, only to have the entire roll go reeling off onto the floor, allowing me enough product to clean up the mess with the whole damn roll of towels going into the garbage bin. I ask you; Is this the natural consequence of using paper towels or is this a conspiracy to get you to buy even more of these dreadful concoctions? I guess it must be me because I keep on buying the damn things anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I had just opened a new roll of paper towels minutes before reading this and by the time I made it back to my computer; I was so very frustrated. I absolutely don't have any knowledge at all as to why they had to glue the first sheet or two of paper towels which took me a while to try to separate the glue from the paper.
    I noticed that after tearing off the first sheet and a third as one sheet didn't open at the perferation but instead I tore the third of the second sheet which was at an angled position.
    I tried once again to separate it at the perferation but to no avail.
    Yes, when I tried pulling more than one sheet off for a larger project the entire roll unraffled on my kitchen floor.
    To add insult to injury, the last sheet or two are glued down to the roller. So, yes, I do believe the makers of paper towels have quite a conspiracy going.

    ReplyDelete